Veronica's Room Tour

Friday, February 7, 2014

I've been giving a lot of thought lately to making some small updates to Veronica's room.  Nothing too drastic, I just want to make it a little less nursery like, and a little more of a "big-girl" room. You'll notice in the pictures that we made the switch from a crib to a toddler bed already. Veronica was climbing out of her crib so we made the switch right around when she turned two (last November).  It's the IKEA Sundvik toddler bed which I just love, however...I was NOT pleased when I got it home and realized that it doesn't fit a standard toddler mattress.  Apparently their toddler beds are European sized, so you also have to buy the mattress at IKEA instead of just using the crib mattress you already have.  I was less than impressed with this because - not only did I not want to have to buy another mattress, but I didn't want to be stuck using only IKEA bedding.  Luckily I have a handy husband and he literally cut the bed down to fit the mattress we had.















These two pictures are kind of the overview of the room.  The prints above her bed were really the inspiration for the nursery.  All of them are from a Russian childrens' book that I took apart.  They are watercolor prints and I fell in love with them instantly. I knew that eventually I'd like to somehow incorporate them as decor in our house.  When I found out I was pregnant and having a girl I knew right away that these were the perfect start to a beautiful nursery.  Here are a couple more views and a close up of one of the prints.




























































One of the things that I really treasure in Veronica's room, are the little details that make the room unique, beautiful and most importantly special to Veronica.




































This paperweight was made by my aunt Barbie out of Veronica's birth announcement.  It also has other pictures that are interchangeable that are beautiful.  I just love this!


























This flower print was from my mom and is special because it is the "Veronica" flower.  I absolutely love oval frames and so my mom found this one and painted it silver to match the watercolor print frames and I think it looks beautiful.

































So that was a little sneak peek (well...a long sneak peek) of Veronica's room before any changes have been made.  The things I'm looking to tackle first are: creating more of a play area for Veronica, filling the empty space between the frames that hold the watercolor prints and her bed and probably some new curtains.  
In my first post I shared bedroom inspiration for her room, one of which featured a harlequin design.  My mom is incredibly artistic and creative so I'm hoping I can persuade her to do some sort of a play on the harlequin design in that space.  We'll see!

I hope you've enjoyed taking a look into Veronica's room and I'm looking forward to sharing the updates we make a long the way!

Abby

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog. So good to know about the Ikea bed. I am considering buying the exact one for my son and that does make me think about the sizing. Though I might be able to make it work. How old was your daughter when you made the switch? I'm nervous, though my son is already 20 months. Anyway, glad I found your blog.. she is darling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! The Ikea bed is great, it was just a bit of a disappointment to get it home and find out that it required their mattress. In hindsight it probably wouldn't have been that big of deal to keep it the way it was but luckily it was pretty easy to just cut the side boards down slightly to fit a standard crib mattress. It's a really cute little bed! Veronica was right around her 2nd birthday when we made the switch. She was starting to crawl out of her crib and that was pretty much the deciding factor. The whole process was much easier than I expected it to be - don't be nervous! :) So glad you found my blog!! Welcome!!

      Delete